The number of active coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases in Pateros has decreased as the Department of Health (DOH) noted that the cases in the National Capital Region (NCR) continue to drop amid the spread of the Omicron variant.
According to the Pateros municipal government, as of Jan. 26, the town’s active cases totaled 135, down by 228 cases or 63 percent from 363 active cases recorded on Jan. 21.
On Jan. 26, the municipal government recorded nine new COVID-19 cases, a decrease by 103 cases or 92 percent from 363 new cases on Jan. 21.
Pateros, the smallest local government unit in the NCR, also tallied 11 patients who have recovered from COVID-19 and zero deaths in the latest update.
Of the 135 active cases, 91 are asymptomatic, 44 are mild cases, 133 are under isolation, and two are set for isolation.
DOH Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire had earlier said the Omicron variant is now the predominant variant in the NCR and other places in the country comprising 98.9 percent of the samples taken.
She said “decoupling” is being observed in the NCR wherein while the number of cases increases, it does not increase the number of severe and critical cases.
Dr. Guido David of OCTA Research released the latest tally of new cases in the NCR. It showed Pateros adding 18 new cases on Jan. 26 and ranking 16th out of 17 LGUs in Metro Manila. Quezon City is No. 1 with 452 new cases, while Malabon has the lowest with 11.
Vergeire emphasized the importance of vaccination, noting that 84 percent of COVID-19 positive persons who were hospitalized were unvaccinated and 93 percent of those who died from the virus were also unvaccinated.
Last Jan. 24, the Pateros municipal government launched its drive-thru booster vaccination to increase the number of recipients. It is also preparing the vaccination of minors aged 5 to 11.