PCC closely watching Robinson’s expanding consumer retail portfolio

Published January 25, 2022, 9:33 AM

by Bernie Cahiles-Magkilat

The Philippine Competition Commission (PCC) said it is closely watching the impact of Robinsons Supermarket Corporation’s expanding portfolio in the local consumer retail market following its acquisition of Japanese partner’s stake in Ministop in the country.

PCC

PCC issued this statement noting that Robinsons currently has a 60 percent stake in Robinsons Convenience Stores Inc., the franchisee of Ministop in the Philippines. The Gokongwei-owned retail unit will acquire the remaining 40 percent share of Ministop Japan in February, effectivity taking full ownership of the business.

Based on PCC’s merger rules, PCC acknowledges that Robinsons’ current majority stake in Ministop already affords them control, and Robinsons is no longer required to notify the proposed acquisition to the antitrust commission.

However, the “PCC takes note of the scope of Robinsons’ portfolio in the consumer retail sector which includes supermarkets, department stores, and community malls, among others.”

With that, PCC Chairman Arsenio M. Balisacan said that merger reviews are focused on the effects and changes of market behavior in the hands of new owners or stakeholders. “This transaction may result in a change in ownership of a significant portion of equity but it is not likely to have an effect on the economic behavior of the target firm,” he said.

The antitrust watchdog will continue to monitor on acquisitions of notable brands and sizable firms to prevent the substantial lessening of competition in the market, said Balisacan.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["business","trade-energy","business"]
[2916477,3001800,3001808,3001793,3001595,3001711,3001173]