CEBU CITY – The mayor of this city allayed fears that lockdowns will be imposed after the city was placed under Alert Level 3 from January 24-31.
Mayor Michael Rama said the city can no longer afford to impose lockdowns especially that it is still trying to recover from the ravages of last month’s Typhoon Odette.
Rama acknowledged that imposing a lockdown will be opposed not just by majority of the Cebuanos but especially by the business sector.
“We cannot, we cannot. No lockdown,” Rama said.
Instead of resorting to lockdowns, what the city will do is strictly implement the guidelines meant to prevent the spread of COVID-19, Rama said.
Rama advised the public to stay at home if needed and should only go out for essential purposes.
The mayor specifically reminded the unvaccinated to avoid outdoors to protect themselves from the virus.
Councilor Joel Garganera, chief of the city’s Emergency Operations Center, said that even if the city is under Alert Level 3, there will be no changes in the policy for inbound travellers.
Garganera said that vaccinated individuals who wish to travel to Cebu City will only have to present their vaccination cards.
Unvaccinated travellers will have to present a negative result of RT-PCR test that was taken 72 hours before the trip.
A negative result of antigen test taken 24 hours before the trip will also do for the unvaccinated, Garganera said.
After starting the year with only nine active cases, the city is dealing with a sharp increase of new COVID-19 cases.
Based on the bulletin of the Department of Health-Central Visayas, the city recorded 359 new infections on January 13 that hiked its active cases to 1,364.