Twenty-one more persons deprived of liberty (PDLs) have been released from the minimum-security compound of the New Bilibid Prison (NBP) in Muntinlupa City.
In a statement, the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) said that among those released last Jan. 8 had completed their jail terms while others had been granted parole.
Last Jan. 7, a total of 15 PDLs from NBP’s medium-security compound were released. They had served their jail terms.
BuCor said that the 21 released PDLs had been fully vaccinated against the coronavirus disease (COVID-19). “But they still underwent Rapid Antigen Test to ensure that they are safe from virus before going home to their respective families,” it said.
“They also received transportation allowance for their travel expenses,” it added.
“The Bureau of Corrections (BuCor), under the leadership of Director General Gerald Q. Bantag and Acting Superintendent (Minimum Security Compound) CCImsp. Reynaldo T. Pablo Jr., continuously implement its Decongestion Program amidst pandemic,” BuCor said.
In 2021, BuCor records showed that 4,610 PDLs were released from seven prison facilities nationwide.