CEBU CITY — The COVID-19 pandemic may still be very much around but Cebuanos will definitely see the return of Sinulog next year, City Mayor Michael Rama assured Tuesday, Dec. 7.
Initial discussions have been conducted and if the current success of the vaccination drive continues, next year’s Sinulog will be a combination of “virtual, physical, lightly orthodox, unconventional, innovative and enhanced” celebration, Rama said.
Rama said the possibility of achieving herd immunity this month will be a big help in next year’s undertaking of Sinulog.
“As far as I’m concerned, there must be (a Sinulog). We will have a Sinulog, it is just a matter of what is the concept, what is the style, what is the contemplated features. Definitely, there shall be a Sinulog,” Rama said.
Due to the threat brought by the deadly virus, the Sinulog Foundation Inc.(SFI) was forced to cancel the Sinulog cultural activities last year.
Though the cultural shows were cancelled, the city government was still able to hold activities that were done virtually.
The virtual acitivities included the showing of the performance of the champion contingents in the street dancing, free interpretation and Sinulog-based categories from 1982 to 2020.
As usual, last year’s limited Sinulog celebration started with a Mass at Fort San Pedro.
Local and international contigents were able to showcase their skills through their taped performances.