A countrywide implementation of the alert level system is seen as an effective way to contain the transmission of the coronavirus disease-2019 (COVID-19), Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) Undersecretary Epimaco Densing III said.
He based his assessment on the steady decline in COVID-19 cases and improvement in the daily attack rate and health care utilization rates during the initial implementation of the alert level system.
As the alert level system was enforced in 10 regions, Densing as of Nov. 12 noted the continuous decrease of COVID-19 cases, improved daily attack rate and health care utilization rate that is complemented by granular lockdowns.
“Nakita nating epektibo (alert level system) at nakumbinsi natin si Pangulong Rodrigo Duterte magshift na to Alert Level System plus granular lockdown instead doon sa lumang community quarantine na pinapatupad natin (We saw the effectiveness and convinced President Rodrigo Duterte to shift to alert level system with granular lockdown instead of the old community quarantine that was previously implemented),’’ Densing said in a GMA news report.
Malacañang announced earlier that the alert level system will be implemented on a nationwide scale amid the COVID-19 pandemic starting November 12.
Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said the Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF) approved the nationwide implementation of the alert level system in Regions 1, 8, and 12 beginning Nov. 12; in Regions 2, 5, and 9 starting November 17 and in the Cordillera Administrative Region, Regions 4B, 13, and the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao come November 22.
Under the alert level system, lockdowns are limited to communities where there is a high level of COVID-19 transmission.
The President issued Executive Order 151 after the IATF recommended the nationwide adoption of the alert level system on October 28. (Chito A. Chavez)