As far as the administrative process of the petition seeking the cancellation of the certificate of candidacy (COC) of presidential aspirant Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. is concerned, the Commission on Elections (Comelec) said on Thursday, Nov. 11 it will take two or three weeks to be handled.
In an interview on ANC, Comelec spokesman James Jimenez said that when it comes to how long the decision will come out, there is no definite time for it but it is likely to be resolved before the elections next year.
“When we talk about the cancellation, that one is likely to be resolved before the election, because it is a simple matter of actually just looking at the grounds that’s been offered,” he explained.
“Once the case has been submitted for resolution again, maybe two weeks from now. Then it’ll be up in the hands of the division to decide as soon as they can or as late as they need to. Again, there is no timetable for that,” he added.
On Nov. 2, Petitioners Fr. Christian Buenafe of Task Force Detainees, Fides Lim of Kapatid, Ma Edeliza Hernandez of Medical Action Group, Celia Lagman Sevilla of Families of Victims of Involuntary Disappearance, Roland Vibal of PH Alliance of Human Rights, and Josephine Lasvano of Balay Rehab Center claimed that Marcos’ COC contains multiple false material representations.
Jimenez said that the case has been raffled to the Comelec Second Division. He mentioned earlier that no summons for the case has been issued yet, but is expected within the week.
“Basically, you first raffle it to a division and then after that you serve summons on the respondent, you basically give the respondent the opportunity to file an answer,” Jimenez explained.
“Once that answer has been filed. The parties will be called together to a pre-conference hearing, and they will be able to ventilate their respective positions. After that they will be given three days to submit their memoranda. After which the case will be deemed submitted for resolution,” he added.
On November 8, Monday, a petition-in-intervention was filed before the Comelec by petitioners-intervenors Edwin Reyes, Napoleon Siongco, Fernando Guevara, Rommel Bautista, Santiago Muńoa Jr, Glenn Gallos, Noel Carpio, Joel Mayo, Marie Soriano, and Mario Montejo.
In their filed motion, the petitioners-intervenors said respondent Marcos Jr. was found guilty beyond reasonable doubt of violating Sections 45 and 50 of the National Internal Revenue Code and perpetually disqualified from holding any public office, to vote and to participate in any election.