100K Maranaos excited to return to their homes at MAA

Published October 18, 2021, 11:30 AM

by Philippine News Agency

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY — After President Rodrigo Duterte’s visit to Marawi City on Saturday, affected residents of the siege four years ago are hoping they will be able to return to the Most Affected Area (MAA).

In an interview Sunday, Moro Consensus Group chair Drieza Lininding said there are still about 100,000 residents who are eager to return to their properties at MAA, where most projects are being developed through Task Force Bangon Marawi (TFBM).

“After residents are returned (to their places in MAA) after four years (since the siege), hopefully the Marawi Compensation Bill will be certified urgent,” he said.

Last month, legislation for the compensation of residents of the war-torn city inched closer to approval in the Senate, with Special Committee on Marawi City Rehabilitation Chair Senator Ronald Dela Rosa assuring they will expedite it.

“We will work double time to pass this measure for the people of Marawi,” dela Rosa said during a hearing by the special committee.

The lower house passed its version, House Bill No. 9925, on September 6.

Under the bill, private property owners shall be compensated for loss or destruction based on the current market value.

President’s visit

On Saturday, Duterte led the unveiling of the marker of the recently finished Jameo Mindanao Al-Islamie Masjid, otherwise known as the Grand Mosque.

The President then went to Rizal Park to commemorate the fourth anniversary of Marawi City’s liberation from the siege perpetrated by the Maute terrorists.

“Let me take this opportunity to reassure the people of Marawi that the government is doing its best to expedite the completion of rehabilitation projects at the soonest possible time,” Duterte said in his speech.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["mindanao","news","news"]
[2840810,2875952,2875948,2875933,2875930,2875908,2875911]