UN continues to help Haitians in wake of earthquake

Published October 2, 2021, 7:53 AM

by Xinhua

UNITED NATIONS — The UN team and humanitarian partners in Haiti are continuing to support the government-led efforts to respond to the needs of half a million people affected by the August earthquake, said a UN spokesman on Friday.

AFP FILE/ MANILA BULLETIN

Despite constraints, 13 emergency medical teams have been established in the impacted area and more than 35 tons of medicines and supplies have been deployed, said Farhan Haq, deputy spokesman for UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres.

So far, a total of 330,000 U.S. dollars in emergency cash has been transferred to people impacted by the earthquake. More than 103,000 households are expected to receive direct cash assistance totaling over 20 million dollars. The United Nations and humanitarian partners have also delivered food and water, as well as non-food items, said Haq.

The earthquake added to other dire challenges faced by Haitians. Since June, the escalation of gang violence has affected 1.5 million people and displaced 19,000. More than 4 million Haitians are experiencing high levels of food insecurity, and this number is likely to increase in the coming months, he said.

The UN team on the ground, along with national partners, is also boosting the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse with toll-free helplines and new channels to report allegations of misconduct, he added.

The UN and partners appealed for 187 million dollars to provide life-saving relief to half a million of the most vulnerable people in Haiti. This appeal is currently only 8 percent funded.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["news","world","news"]
[2827062,3063695,3063688,3063679,3063665,3063660,3063666]