Don’t be confused.
This was what Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) Chairman Benhur Abalos told the public over the implementation of granular lockdowns and alert levels system in the National Capital Region (NCR).
“‘Wag po tayong maguluhan dahil magkaiba po yun (granular lockdown and alert levels) Let us not be confused because they are different),” Abalos said during a televised press briefing Tuesday, Sept 14.
The MMDA chief, who is also the concurrent chair of the Metro Manila Council, explained that granular lockdowns will involve areas, like houses, units, or compounds, where a high infection of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is detected.
Granular lockdowns are determined by the local government units.
“Yung granular lockdown last year ginagawa na po yun. Ang ginagawa ng mayors may protocol ‘yan, kung isang bahay may infected, you have to isolate that household, kung dalawang bahay dalawang household, kung condomunium it could be 1 floor ( We have been doing granular lockdowns since last year. The mayors follow a protocol in placing under lockdown households or condominium units that have COVID-19 infected households),” Abalos said.
It can be declared at any alert level, he added.
The alert levels, on the other hand, are determined by the Department of Health (DOH) and are implemented in the entire region.
Abalos said cities can actually have various alert levels, however, the city mayors decided to enforce a uniform alert level in the entire region for better mobility.
An alert level 4 classification will be implemented in Metro Manila starting Sept. 14 when the region shifts back to general community quarantine.
Under this level, those below the age of 18 and over the age of 65, those with comorbidities, and pregnant women will not be allowed to leave their homes unless for obtaining goods and services, or for work.
Indoor dine-in services and select personal care establishments will be allowed operation only for fully-vaccinated individuals at a limited 10 percent capacity.