The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) reported Tuesday, September 14, two more deaths due to typhoon “Jolina,” bringing the toll to 19 while there were no recorded casualties so far due to typhoon “Kiko.”
NDRRMC Executive Director Ricardo Jalad said in a situational report that three of the Jolina casualties were already confirmed while the remaining 16 were still being validated.
The three confirmed casualties were all from Buenavista, Marinduque who drowned at the height of the tyhoon Jolina. They were previously identified as Jovert Garay, 21; Bobby Villavicencio, 46; and Almario Mingueto, 63.
Meanwhile, the NDRRMC was still validating local reports about a 22-year-old man who died in a landslide in Laurel, Batangas; a 56-year-old man who drowned in Pagbilao, Quezon; two adult males aged 39 and 28 and a three-year-old boy who drowned in Cawayan, Masbate.
Four deaths were also reported in Samar but they were still being validated by the NDRRMC. Two men aged 22 and 52 drowned in Daram town while a 33-year-old man and a 54-year-old man also drowned in Tarangnan town.
In Tacloban, Leyte, seven males drowned — including four fishermen who ventured at sea — at the height of the typhoon but the details of the incidents were still being validated.
Aside from the fatalities, five individuals went missing while 24 others were injured due to typhoon Jolina.
A total of 81,077 families or 313,399 individuals were affected by Jolina in the National Capital Region (NCR), Central Luzon (Region 3), Calabarzon (Region 4A), Mimaropa (Region 4B), Bicol Region (Region 5), Western Visayas (Region 6), Eastern Visayas (Region 8), and Soccsksargen (Region 12).
Around 7,400 families or 29,300 individuals were displaced and forced to stay in evacuation centers while others sought refuge with their relatives or friends.
Meanwhile, the areas that were affected by typhoon Kiko in Northern and Central Luzon still have not recorded a single casualty.
In a separate report as of 5 p.m. Monday, Jalad said there was zero casualty in Ilocos Region (Region 1), Cagayan Valley (Region 2), Central Luzon, and Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR), the four regions that were primarily impacted by Kiko.
However, there were 6,654 families or 25,029 individuals who were affected by the typhoon. After Kiko left the Philippine Area of Responsibility (PAR), only 142 families or 482 individuals were staying at evacuation centers, and their relatives’ or friends’ houses.