7 Delta variant cases listed in Pateros

Published August 27, 2021, 11:31 AM

by Jonathan Hicap

Pateros, the smallest local government unit (LGU) in Metro Manila, has seven Delta variant cases among its rising coronavirus disease (COVID-19) tally.

This was according to a report presented by Dr. Alethea de Guzman, director of the Department of Health (DOH) Epidemiology Bureau, during an online briefing Thursday.

DILG Pateros and contact tracers assist the Pateros Rescue in transporting COVID-19 patients to isolation centers (DILG Pateros)

Based on her report, Pateros’ Delta variant cases rose to seven as of Aug. 21 from three last Aug. 15 when the DOH presented the report during an online briefing. The Delta variant is a strain of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19.

The DOH previously presented the NCR tally with the column name “Total Delta Variant Cases” but changed it to “Variant of Concern Presence.”

During the Go Negosyo online briefing last Aug. 23, De Guzman identified the “Variant of Concern Presence” tally as local Delta variant cases.

“We are seeing a continuous detection of Delta in NCR. Right now, NCR, being the largest region, has the most number of Delta cases, local Delta cases,” she said.

In a live online broadcast Thursday, Pateros Mayor Miguel “Ike” Ponce III said the municipality’s COVID-19 cases are very high.

He said Pateros’ active COVID-19 cases have climbed to 433 after 109 new cases were recorded on Aug. 25.

“We really need to guard places that have many positive cases, or those with clustering of cases to ensure that COVID-19 will not spread in our municipality,” he said.

The good news, he said, is that among those who tested positive, about 90 percent are asymptomatic because most of Pateros residents have already been vaccinated. This shows, he said, the good effect of vaccination in Pateros.

The mayor said since Aug. 1 when Pateros recorded six to seven deaths due to COVID-19, four to five of them were unvaccinated.

Ponce said he had a meeting with barangay captains and they agreed to submit the list of places that will be subjected to pocket lockdowns.

He said the subjects of the lockdown are those places identified with positive cases and their close contacts. He said no one will be allowed to go out even if they are workers or APORs (authorized persons outside of residence).

The aim of the lockdown, he said, is to contain the movement of people and prevent the transmission of COVID-19 to other areas. He said households under lockdown will be given food packs as support.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["metro","news","news"]
[2798042,2912096,2912092,2912086,2912083,2912067,2912070]