Construction of Mindanao's P7.3-B Panguil Bay Bridge on track–DPWH

Published August 6, 2021, 1:09 PM

by Betheena Unite

The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) is now working on the foundation of the Panguil Bay Bridge that will serve as a key link to islands in Northern Mindanao.

KEY PROJECT DOWN SOUTH– Works on the three-kilometer Panguil Bay Bridge, an inter-island bridge in Northern Mindanao, is now 22 percent complete. (Photo courtesy of the DPWH)

Public Works and Highways Secretary Mark A. Villar said Friday, Aug. 6, that the ongoing works for the Panguil Bay Bridge Project remains “on track within the target completion of December 2023”.

The progress rate of what has been dubbed as Northern Mindanao’s mega inter-island connection is now at 22 percent, the agency said. Heavy equipment on site has intensified preparations for the bridge foundation.

Fifteen bored piles for the bridge’s substructure have been completed, according to Undersecretary Emil Sadain. These have a depth ranging from 30 to 50 meters.

Based on the extensive detailed engineering design, the 3.169-kilometer Panguil Bay Bridge will require a total of 54 bored piles intended for the 32 piers; two for abutments at Tangub City, Misamis Occidental and Tubod, Lanao Del Norte side; and two for pylon of the main bridge.

The off-shore construction activities are being carried out by Korean joint venture contractor Namkwang-Kukdong-Gumwang.

With an average of six to seven holes prepared per month, 74 percent or 40 of the 54 bored holes is targetted for completion by the end of December 2021 with the remaining 26 percent or 14 bored holes to be finished by February 2022.

In order to ensure quality of works, the completed bored piles will be checked after seven to 14 days of concrete placement.

Considered as the biggest infrastructure project in Northern Mindanao, the P7.375-billion project will connect Tangub City and Tubod across Panguil Bay in just seven minutes. It is funded by a loan agreement between the Philippines government and Korean Export-Import Bank (Korea Eximbank).

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["national","news","news"]
[2779761,2911240,2911225,2911222,2911210,2911216,2911203]