Davao City to roll out mobile vaccination for seniors

Published August 3, 2021, 8:00 PM

by Antonio Colina IV

DAVAO CITY – A mobile vaccination targeting senior citizens is currently being worked out as the number of people belonging to the priority group A2 who are fully protected against the deadly coronavirus disease (COVID-19) remains low.

Mayor Sara Duterte told Davao City Disaster Radio (DCDR 87.5) on Monday that the office of Vice mayor Sebastian Duterte will handle the mobile vaccination to improve the number of senior citizens getting fully vaccinated.

As of July 25, the City Government of Davao reported a total of 76,472 seniors who received the first dose and only 27,365 who completed two doses nearly three months since the vaccination for priority group A2 started last May 11.

She said according to the City Social Welfare and Development Office (CSWDO), the population of the senior citizens in the city was estimated at 200,000 to 300,000.

In a press release issued by the City Information Office, the mobile vaccination is an additional option for senior citizens apart from public vaccination in designated City Health Office-run vaccination sites per district. Meanwhile, the essential workers or A4 are also given an option to get vaccinated in public vaccination sites or sector organized vaccination sites.

“We can see from our numbers that only a small percentage of our A2 got vaccinated so far. We will organize a mobile vaccination exclusively for senior citizens. We will look for them and know their reasons why they can’t leave their homes, for example, they are bed-ridden or suffering from illnesses,” she said.

She added that older people should be encouraged to get vaccinated because they have the highest risk of death due to COVID-19.

Davao City reported two additional two local cases of Delta variant on Saturday, which brought the total to three in the city and four in Davao Region, including the first Delta case reported in Tagum City.

“The Delta variant can spread faster. If there are more people getting infected, more people will also be hospitalized. If our hospitals cannot catch up with the rising cases and cannot attend to the needs of the patients, therefore more people will likely die of COVID-19,” she said.

As of August 2, the Department of Health (DOH-Davao) reported 54,924 cases with 6,411 active, 46,688 recovered, and 1,825 deaths.

Out of the total cases, Davao City, the epicenter of the COVID-19 pandemic in Mindanao, logged 30,756 cases with 2,709 active, 27,012 recovered and 1,033 died. Davao de Oro tallied 4,273 cases, Davao del Norte with 10,583, Davao del Sur with 4,644, Davao Occidental with 1,039, and Davao Oriental with 3,629.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["mindanao","news","news"]
[2777167,2816328,2816455,2816445,2816438,2816430,2816390]