A women’s group prodded the national government to conduct mass testing during the two-week lockdown in Metro Manila.
In a statement, Gabriela said the “heavy militaristic approach will just fail just like last year” and urged the government instead to conduct “effective and systematic test-and-trace process.”
The group recommended three scientific and people-centered alternatives to defeat coronavirus disease (COVID-19): free mass testing; contact tracing and isolation tactics; fund effective vaccination rollouts; and provide P10,000 financial aid for families in need.
“While OCTA and Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID) are busy debating over the presence of a Delta variant surge, the Filipino people continue to suffer on the ground,” Gabriela said.
“An entire year with near half of the workforce losing their jobs, a year of economic crisis without full financial aid or ‘ayuda,’ has left countess of Filipino families dying, if not from COVID, from hunger and poverty,” it added.
Metro Manila is under enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) from Aug. 6 to 20.