No one died or got hurt in the aftermath of a magnitude 6.6 earthquake that hit Calatagan, Batangas on Saturday morning, July 24, according to an initial assessment by the Office of Civil Defense (OCD).
OCD spokesperson Mark Timbal said the regional disaster risk reduction and management councils (RDRRMC) of Calabarzon (Region 4A) and Mimaropa (Region 4B) did not record any initial casualty.
“No casualties reported from both RDRRMC Calabarzon and Mimaropa,” he told reporters.
Calabarzon covers the provinces of Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal, and Quezon while Mimaropa is comprised of Occidental and Oriental Mindoro, Marinduque, Romblon, and Palawan.
Timbal said local officials were conducting validation to determine the extent of the damage caused by the earthquake which occured at 4:49 a.m.
The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) downgraded the magnitude of the quake from 6.7 to 6.6.
Earlier in the day, Timbal advised residents to be prepared for possible aftershocks.