BATANGAS CITY – Residents of the Calabarzon (Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal, and Quezon) area feared another spike in coronavirus cases in the next few weeks after five cases of the Delta variant in the region were confirmed Friday, July 23.
But the Department of Health (DOH) Region 4-B immediately clarified that the five Delta variant cases were local cases and not due to local transmissions and still being investigated as from still an unknown source.
“We have five reported cases and of the five cases, three Delta variant cases were reported last April by the National Epidemiology Center – two from the province of Cavite at one from the province of Batangas,” DOH Regional Director Eduardo C. Janairo said.
These cases were seemingly like those reported in Antique where the Delta variant was detected from returning overseas Filipino workers but tested negative when they went home after finishing their quarantine in hotels upon arrival in the country.
“These three cases were not from the community where they reside, but they were actually OFWs and two were from the Middle East who eventually went to their place of residence after their being quarantined and they were already confirmed negative of the virus,” Janairo said.
The two new cases of Delta variant reported is a father, 58, and his son, 29, from Calamba City, Laguna. Investigation in ongoing on how they acquired the virus.
Janairo added that the Regional Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit (RESU) is already conducting contact tracing activities in coordination with the city government of Calamba.
Dr. Voltaire Guadalupe, also of DOH Calabarzon, had earlier confirmed the detection of the first two cases of the Delta variant in Cavite Thursday, July 22.
Janairo called on residents not to panic now that the Delta variant has been recorded in the region. He urged them to be extra careful and strictly follow health protocols and community health guidelines against COVID-19 in order not to contract the virus.