CEBU CITY – Thirteen policemen from the Samboan, Cebu municipal police station tested positive for COVID-19.
Samboan recently enforced a hard lockdown in seven barangays due to rising COVID-19 cases. The granular lockdown started last July 23 and will last until July 28 unless extended by the municipal government.
Police Col. Engelbert Soriano, chief of the Cebu Provincial Police Office (CPPO), said the 13 policemen were immediately isolated. “One of them was hospitalized but was discharged already and is out of danger,” said Soriano.
Soriano said that aside from the 10 policemen, 14 detainees of the station were also found to be COVID-19 positive.
One of the detainees was hospitalized due to the severity of his symptoms, said Soriano.
The town policemen were made to undergo swab testing last week after one of them came in contact with a COVID-19 patient.
“Our monitoring is continuous. They are being closely monitored and they will not be allowed to return to the station until their tests yield negative results,” Soriano said.
The CCPO has sent an augmentation force to the town to replace the infected policemen, said Soriano.