CEBU CITY – Dengue cases in Central Visayas have dropped significantly this year, the Department of Health-Central Visayas (DOH Region 7) reported.
Jeffrey Doyongan, Entomologist III of the DOH Region 7-Center for Health Development, said that from January to July 17 this year, the region has tallied 976 dengue cases with seven deaths.
The figures are 89.67 percent lower compared to the same period last year in which 9,449 dengue cases and 39 deaths were recorded.
The DOH Region 7 attributed the significant decrease to the measures enforced by local government units.
The quarantine restrictions due to COVID-19 pandemic may have also helped reduce dengue cases since people are forced to stay at home instead of going to places prone to dengue-carrying mosquitoes.
Cebu City continues to have the most dengue cases this year with 113 cases. The city had 1,288 cases from January to July last year, said Doyongan.
“This 2021, the trend is lower but it is expected that it will rise next year. The trend is dengue cases go up every three years,” said Doyongan.
Doyongan said DOH Region-7 is continuously implementing anti-dengue measures amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
“Our health workers are continually surveying the dengue situation in Central Visayas,” Doyongan said.