Cebu boosts measures vs ASF

Published June 24, 2021, 3:18 PM

by Calvin Cordova 

14785
CEBU CITY – Following the first confirmed case of African Swine Fever (ASF) in Ormoc City, Leyte, Cebu will strengthen measures against possible entry of pork and pork-related products from ASF-affected areas.

Dr. Mary Rose Vincoy, chief of the Cebu Provincial Veterinary Office, said the stricter border controls and disease surveillance will be sustained to protect the P11-billion hog industry in the province.

Since last year, Cebu has imposed a ban against pork and pork-related products from Luzon and Mindanao. Cebu has also banned the shipment of live hogs outside to prevent pork shortage that may lead to price increase.

“We continue to strengthen our disease surveillance and monitoring as well as our border control against African Swine Fever. All livestock transport carriers including meat vans issued by the Provincial Livestock Transport Pass and entering Cebu were required to undergo the seven-day downtime period and disinfection,” said Vincoy.

Cebu is very accessible from Ormoc. The fastest route is Ormoc to Camotes Island which is a two-hour boat ride.

Vincoy likewise appealed to the public to help authorities in the campaign against ASF. “We ask cooperation from everyone and continued vigilance against ASF and report any unusual pig mortalities in their area,” Vincoy said.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["news","visayas","news"]
[2740221,2882388,2882384,2882367,2882379,2882371,2882339]