Sarangani town shuts down 35 beach resorts

Published June 17, 2021, 11:00 PM

by Philippine News Agency

GENERAL SANTOS CITY – At least 35 beach resorts in Glan town, Sarangani province have been closed down temporarily due to the increasing cases of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).

Rhoa Wadingan, Glan senior tourism operations officer, said on Thursday Mayor Vivien Yap ordered the closure effective Wednesday and until the end of the month to help contain the further spread of the disease.

She said Yap made the decision following a meeting earlier this week with members of Glan Tourism Industry Association.

“They were properly consulted about the move and Mayor Yap explained to them that it is necessary due to the prevailing COVID-19 situation,” she said in an interview.

The municipality, which is dubbed “Boracay of the South” due to its famed white-sand beaches, was placed under general community quarantine effective Wednesday through Executive Order No. 26 issued by Yap.

Wadingan acknowledged that most resort owners and operators in the area are still reeling from the impact of the extended community quarantine measures since the onset of the pandemic last year.

She said the latest closure of the beach resorts, mostly in Barangay Gumasa, has directly affected a total of 439 workers.

The local government is working on the provision of financial assistance to the displaced workers through the Department of Labor and Employment, she said.

Sarangani recorded 131 additional COVID-19 cases on Wednesday night, bringing its active cases to 376.

Glan posted a total of 46 new infections in the last five days.

The confirmed cases in the province since last year have reached a total of 1,833, with 29 related deaths and 1,428 recoveries.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["mindanao","news","news"]
[2734425,2772706,2772695,2772687,2772701,2772670,2772664]