Crime down 82% in Iloilo City under MECQ

Published June 16, 2021, 4:37 PM

by Tara Yap

POLICE VISIBILITY – A policeman secures a public market in Iloilo City. Additional cops have been deployed in the city which is under Modified Enhanced Community Quarantine (MECQ) to curb COVID-19 cases. (Tara Yap)
ILOILO CITY – Crime went down 82 percent in this city which has been under Modified Enhanced Community Quarantine (MECQ) since early this month due to a spike in COVID-19 cases.

Data from the Police Regional Office (PRO) 6 (Western Visayas) said that there were 60 criminal incidents recorded here from June 1 to 15 compared to the 347 in the same period last year.

At least 500 additional cops were deployed when the MECQ was implemented in this city. PRO 6 sent the augmentation force to different stations of the Iloilo City Police Office (ICPO) which was also meant to boost quarantine control checkpoints at the borders here.

As President Duterte approved the extension of MECQ in Iloilo City, PRO 6 said they will not pull out its augmentation force.

“We will not pull out our augmented forces in the city. It is still needed as COVID-19 cases have not gone down,” said Police Brig. Gen. Rolando Miranda, PRO 6 director.

Meanwhile, PRO-6 recorded a 50.64percent decrease in crime incidents in Western Visayas which encompasses Aklan, Antique, Capiz, Guimaras, Iloilo, and Negros Occidental as well as the highly urbanized city of Bacolod.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["news","visayas","news"]
[2733073,2774145,2774148,2774141,2774137,2774132,2774129]