49 laborers catch COVID in Cebu City construction site

Published June 16, 2021, 3:48 PM

by Calvin Cordova 

COVID virus
CEBU CITY – Forty-nine laborers working in a construction site here tested positive for COVID-19.

Councilor Joel Garganera, deputy chief implementer of the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) here, said the 49 construction workers were immediately extracted from the construction site at the Cebu I.T. Park in Barangay Apas and were immediately brought to isolation centers within city.

Garganera said it is the first time after several months that a number of people within the same workplace contracted the virus.

He said the infected laborers were among the 100 construction workers who underwent swab testing after one of their-co-workers had earlier tested positive for the virus.

Garganera said contact tracing is still ongoing although most of the workers were confined in a bunkhouse.

He said the infection involving the laborers led to a slight increase in the city’s active COVID-19 cases but it was something that is not a cause for concern.

As of June 15, 2021, the Department of Health-Central Visayas (Region 7) said the city has recorded a total of 24,943 COVID-19 cases but only 637 are active.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["news","visayas","news"]
[2732948,2768121,2767095,2768107,2768117,2768114,2768104]