Malacañang said there was nothing wrong with President Duterte possibly running for vice president in the 2022 elections since the Constitution did not prohibit such an act in the first place.
Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque made the statement after former Commission on Elections (Comelec) Chairman Christian Monsod said in an interview with Rappler that the attempt to convince Duterte to run for vice president was a way to circumvent the Constitution.
In his press briefing on Monday, Roque said nothing was stopping Duterte from pursuing the second-highest government position if he wanted to.
“There is absolutely no ban for a president to run for vice president,” he said.
“There is no literal provision in the Constitution that states that principle,” he added.
Last week, Roque pointed out that what was not prohibited in the Constitution is allowed.
“Kung pinagbabawal po ang presidente na tumakbo ng VP, dapat sinulat na po yan, nagkaroon ng teksto ng ating Saligang Batas na nagbabawal diyan (If a president is barred from running for VP then it should have been written in the Constitution),” he said.
“Pero since wala pong prohibisyon (But since there is no prohibition like that), it must be allowed,” he added.
PDP-Laban has adopted a resolution urging Duterte to run for vice president in next year’s polls.
However, on Monday, Roque said that the President still has no decision regarding the resolution.
“He was nominated. Kailangan sagutin yung nominasyon kaya pinag-iisipan pero wala pa siyang desisyon ukol dito (The President needed to answer the nomination that’s why he’s thinking about it but he has no decision yet),” he said.
Meanwhile, Roque urged the public to carefully look at a candidate’s qualifications before casting their votes.
“Sa paghalal ng ating mga namumuno, kailangan tignan ang kakayahan, eksperyensya, at napakadaming problema ng bayan na kailangan ng lunas (In choosing a leader, we should look at his abilities, experience, and the many problems of our country that need solving),” he said.