Sobejana: Nothing wrong with PRRD giving P2M reward to soldiers who rescued Indon kidnap victims

Published May 31, 2021, 8:00 PM

by Aaron Recuenco 

Gen. Cirilito Sobejana, chief of staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), sees nothing wrong with President Dutere giving cash reward to soldiers who helped rescue four Indonesians kidnapped victims from the Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) two months ago.

“This is the prerogative of the President to recognize the effort of our soldiers and its impacts to the capability enhancement. If we have soldiers with high state of morale they will be more productive,” said Sobejana.

The military chief of staff represented Duterte in giving the P2 million cash to the units involved in the operation in a ceremony in Zamboanga City on Monday, March 31. The operation resulted in the death of an Abu Sayyaf leader and the rescue of the Indonesian fishermen who were abducted last year off the waters of Malaysia.

Sobejana clarified that the monetary reward is now for individual soldiers but for the units.

He said he is leaving it to the concerned military commanders on how to spend the reward.

“It’s up the unit commanders. If they want to spend the money to enhance their capability then it’s up to them,” said Sobejana.

But he said that the money could also be used for the the morale and welfare of soldiers like buying videoke for relaxation in between operations.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["national","news","news"]
[2718354,2918085,2918071,2918075,2918051,2918054,2918057]