Death toll from NPA ambush in Occidental Mindoro rises to 3

Published May 29, 2021, 3:21 PM

by Martin Sadongdong

Two more police officers have died in the ambush allegedly perpetrated by New People’s Army (NPA) rebels in Magsaysay, Occidental Mindoro on Friday, May 28.

PNP Chief. Gen. Guillermo Eleazar visits on May 29, 2021 the wake of one of the three policemen who died in an ambush perpetrated by suspected New People’s Army (NPA) rebels in Magsaysay, Occidental Mindoro. (Photo courtesy of PNP)

Police Staff Sergeant Nolito Develos and Police Corporal Stan Gonggora succumbed to death while undergoing treatment at the hospital, the PNP bared on Saturday, May 29. This brought the death toll from the incident to three.

The other fatality was earlier identified as Police Executive Master Sergeant Jonathan Alvarez.

PNP Chief. Gen. Guillermo Eleazar visits on May 29, 2021 the wake of one of the three policemen who died in an ambush perpetrated by suspected New People’s Army (NPA) rebels in Magsaysay, Occidental Mindoro. (Photo courtesy of PNP)

PNP Chief. Gen. Guillermo Eleazar visits on May 29, 2021 the wake of one of the three policemen who died in an ambush perpetrated by suspected New People’s Army (NPA) rebels in Magsaysay, Occidental Mindoro. (Photo courtesy of PNP)

PNP Chief Gen. Guillermo Eleazar denounced “in the strongest terms” the NPA attack, hich also resulted in the wounding of nine other cops. Six of the nine injured cops were still at the hospital while three others were already discharged.

“We strongly condemn this latest atrocity perpetrated by the communist terrorists in Occidental Mindoro. These terrorists really do not know the concepts of peace and humanity as even in this time of a public health emergency, they continue their cowardly attacks against state forces and even innocent civilians,” Eleazar said.

PNP Chief. Gen. Guillermo Eleazar pins on May 29, 2021 a medal on one of the nine policemen who were injured in an ambush perpetrated by suspected New People’s Army (NPA) rebels in Magsaysay, Occidental Mindoro. (Photo courtesy of PNP)

Eleazar personally awarded the “Medalya ng Kadakilaan” to 12 of the 14 PNP personnel who fought the communist rebels when he visited Occidental Mindoro on Saturday. The figure included those who died and those who survived the attack.

Meanwhile, the two other cops who had been airlifted to PNP General Hospital at Camp Crame in Quezon City also received their Medalya ng Kadakilaan from Eleazar after he came back from Occidental Mindoro.

Aside from the Medalya ng Kadakilaan, the nine wounded personnel were also given the “Medalya ng Sugatang Magiting” by Eleazar.

It was 10:30 a.m. Thursday, May 28 when suspected NPA rebels fired upon the security convoy of Occidental Mindoro Governor Eduardo Gadiano at a secluded area in Sitio Banban in Barangay Nicolas.

Gadiano and the security convoy had just finished attending a “Serbisyo Caravan” in the province when the ambush happened. The governor was unharmed from the attack.

“Hindi natin palalagpasin ang ginawa ng mga teroristang ito. Patuloy natin silang tutugisin para panagutin sa kanilang karahasan at hindi na makapanggulo pa sa ating mga komunidad (We will not condone this act from these terrorists. We will hunt them down so they can pay for their violence and to stop them from harrassing our communities),” Eleazar noted.

Meanwhile, the PNP dhief also expressed sympathy for the bereaved family of the three policemen even as he promised that he will pursue justice for their deaths.

“The PNP is now coordinating with them to extend all assistance in this difficult time,” Eleazar said. He also vowed to give all the necessary assistance to the wounded personnel.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["national","news","news"]
[2716893,2911131,2911125,2911128,2911121,2911118,2911112]