The University of the Philippines-Philippine General Hospital (UP-PGH) Human Milk Bank has thanked those who donated breastmilk for newborn babies who were affected by the fire.
In a Facebook post, UP-PGH said it would pause accepting donations in the meantime because of the overwhelming breastmilk donation they received.
“Thank you so much for your kind hearts, for sharing your liquid gold (breastmilk), for saving lives of sick and premature babies. You’re all heroes!” the post read.
“Because of overwhelming breastmilk donation, we would like to withhold accepting breastmilk for now.”
The Sunday fire affected the power of its refrigerators where milk is stored, according to a Facebook post shared by the UP-PGH Milk Bank.
The blaze, which broke out on the third floor of the hospital early Sunday morning, May 16, forced patients to evacuate and transfer hospitals.
On Monday, May 17, PGH Director Dr. Gap Legaspi said the fire was possibly caused by faulty electrical wiring or circuit breaker.
No casualties or injuries were reported in the fire.