Victims of fake news about an alleged “community pantry” event at the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) Timog Base were supposed to go home empty-handed.
That is, until EDSA traffic czar Edison “Bong” Nebrija showed up and made a crunch time decision.
Nebrija broke down what happened in his Facebook post Friday, May 14.
“When I arrived at Timog Base this morning I saw elderly people lined up waiting on the side. So I asked them what were they doing this early in our base. One said ‘Sir may community pantry daw po dito (Sir somebody said there’s a community pantry here),'” he wrote.
“And nobody could confirm who have disseminated such fake news,” noted Nebrija.
“Anyway since we have extras from our last Community Food Bank and senior citizens are not supposed to be out this quarantine, I gave each one a grocery pack and sent them home,” he narrated.
The Community Food Bank is a spin on the community pantry initiative that became popular last month when an enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) was reimposed in Metro Manila and its four nearby provinces.
The MMDA, the Presidential Anti-Corruption Commission (PACC), the Philippine National Police-Highway Patrol Group (PNP-HPG), Anti-Red Tape Authority, and the Truth and Justice Coalition are the entities behind the Community Food Bank, the main beneficiaries of which are motorists along EDSA.
Nebrija made sure to tag his project partners at the end of his post to make sure that they were OK with his decision.
“Greco Belgica, Jeremiah Belgica and Gabriel Go mga bossing dinisisyunan ko na and gave them Community Food Bank packs (Boss I had to decide on it and so I gave them Community Food Bank packs),” he said.