CEBU CITY – The Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) in Metro Cebu will be partially operational starting December this year.
The BRT will form part of Cebu’s Integrated and Intermodal Mass Transport System that will also feature a monorail system and a cable car system.
Department of Transportation (DOTr) Secretary Arthur Tugade said the BRT will have a “partial operability” by the end of the year which means four out of the 17 proposed BRT stations will already be utilized.
Tugade on Thursday morning inspected phase one of the BRT route which spans from the South Road Properties to the Cebu IT Park.
Civil works for the BRT is already underway. It includes the removal of center islands in the roads that will be covered by the BRT.
Office of the Presidential Assistant for the Visayas Secretary Michael Dino said the monorail that will connect to the BRT system will also be ready by the first quarter of next year.
Dino said proposals by private sector for the cable car have been submitted to National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA) and the technical working group of the DOTr.
“We are still awaiting the approval of NEDA. But the NEDA technical board is already meeting over this and they are already taking care of this. Hopefully by first quarter of next year we can already start the monorail,” Dino said.
Officials here have previously said that the cable car is expected to connect Mount Busay and other upland villages in Cebu City to the urban centers in Metro Cebu.