ILOILO CITY — Gov. Arthur Defensor Jr. is considering the closure of tourist spots, including resorts in Iloilo, to avoid the spread of COVID-19.
“We need to put in measures to stop its sudden surge,” Defensor said.
While the Iloilo provincial government has not yet decided, Defensor said that temporary closure of tourist spots in the 42 towns and component city of Passi is seriously being considered.
The governor said that the previous Christmas and New Year holidays should be a lesson that COVID-19 cases can surge when government can no longer implement protocols and allow mass gathering of people.
“If we do not consider (temporary closure of tourist spots this summer), we will definitely see a rise in the number of cases,” Defensor said.
Iloilo has 366 active cases in Iloilo with 26 new cases as of April 13.
During the Holy Week earlier this month, Defensor issued an order for the temporary closure of beaches, ecological parks, inland resorts, water parks, and amusement parks after the Department of Health Region 6 (DOH Western Visayas) said that COVID-19 cases in Western Visayas region may reach its peak starting third week of April.
Defensor did not close the ports in Iloilo towns for sea travelers coming from Negros Occidental despite the surge in COVID-19 cases there.