2 soldiers killed in Negros Occidental ambush

Published April 4, 2021, 8:51 AM

by Glazyl Masculino

 BACOLOD CITY – Two members of the Army’s 15th Infantry Battalion (IB) were killed in an ambush allegedly staged by the New People’s Army (NPA) at Sitio Cambaga, Barangay Yao-Yao, Cauayan, Negros Occidental on Saturday.

Police and military arrive at Sitio Cambaga, Barangay Yao-Yao, Cauayan, Negros Occidental, where two soldiers were killed in an ambush allegedly staged by the NPA Saturday. (Photo courtesy of local police)

 According to Maj. Cenon Pancito III, spokesperson of 3rd Infantry Division (ID), the two soldiers came from their Community Support Program (CSP) activity in the area, when unidentified armed men opened fire at them on their way back to the camp.
Pancito said the soldiers, who were part of the intelligence section of the Army, were on board their motorcycles, when the ambush happened.
“They were not in combat mode and even not in their uniforms, but the NPAs are waging deceptive tactics to attack them,” he added.
Pancito believed that the NPAs still have militiamen on the ground giving them information, thus the attack happened, as they have probably monitored the movement of the soldiers.
Pancito said they cannot yet release the names of the casualties, as their families were not yet informed about the incident.
Pancito said they honored the bravery and dedication of their fallen comrades, who contributed to the peace and order in the said village, which he claimed to be a guerilla zone.
The ambush came a week after 10 suspected rebels were killed in an encounter between the 62nd IB and NPA at Barangay Trinidad, Guihulngan City, Negros Oriental on March 23.
The March 23 encounter was followed by another clash between the alleged NPA and Philippine National Police (PNP) – Special Action Force (SAF) at Barangay Nagbinlod, Sta. Catalina town on March 29, that resulted in the death of two rebels.
On April 2, the local police clashed again with suspected NPAs at the said village in Sta. Catalina town, following reports of the alleged presence of armed men in the area.
A wounded man believed to be an NPA member, reportedly left by his fleeing comrades, was rescued by the police after the eight-minute firefight, based on a police report.