A total of 1,000 housing units were turned over to victims of the devastating Typhoon Yolanda in 2013 as part of the administration’s commitments to those affected by the typhoon.
Cabinet Secretary Karlo Nograles led the turnover on February 26 in coordination with the Task Force Yolanda, the National Housing Authority, and local government officials.
The distribution in Tingib Homes, Pandan, Antique was the 25th virtual turnover of housing units, adding to 1,267 completed units already distributed previously in Laua-an.
In his speech, Nograles committed to finishing all the administration’s Yolanda-related housing work. He said additional 10,417 units will be completed in Region VI by April this year.
So far, a total of 24,493 housing units in different areas of Region VI have been turned over to the beneficiaries.
Typhoon Yolanda left 6,340 people dead in 2013.
In October last year, Nograles assured victims of Super Typhoon Yolanda that the rehabilitation of areas devastated by the typhoon remains a top priority of the Duterte administration even as the country faces the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
The Yolanda Permanent Housing Program (YPHP) was given an additional P7.4 billion last October, allowing the government to construct more houses to be distributed for free to the victims of the devastating typhoon in 2013.
Nograles had assured Yolanda victims that the housing units will be given to them for free as instructed by President Duterte.
“Inutos niya (President Duterte) na bilisan yung sa Yolanda. Isa sa mga instructions at direktiba ni Pangulo ay kung ibigay yung mga Yolanda housing doon sa mga biktima ay dapat libre (The President’s order was to speed things up. He said that if we are going to give the housing to the Yolanda victims, it should be for free),” he said.