More than 53,000 families have been displaced by the widespread flooding in Mindanao which was spawned by tropical depression ‘Auring’ that damaged houses and infrastructure, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said on Monday, Feb. 22.
Based on the NDRRMC data as of Monday, a total of 12,825 families or 49,236 people are now staying in various evacuation centers in Caraga region, Northern Mindanao and Davao region. A total of 450 families or 1,720 persons are staying with their relatives and friends.
The NDRRMC said those displaced are residents of 216 barangays in the three Mindanao regions. Most of the evacuees are from the CARAGA, particularly in Surigao provinces.
A total of 179 houses, on the other hand, were damaged, four of them were totally destroyed. Five roads and a bridge were also affected.
The NDRRMC also said 40 domestic flights were canceled while sea travels were also cancelled so far in eastern and northern part of Mindanao and in Western and Eastern Visayas.
“Auring’ entered the Philippine territory on February 17. Storm warning signals were raised in some provinces of Mindanao, Visayas and Bicol.