Filipinos in Myanmar are safe — Locsin

Published February 8, 2021, 11:47 AM

by Roy Mabasa

The “comparatively” few Filipinos in Myanmar are safe and there is no need to evacuate them, Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr. said on Monday. 

Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr.
(FACEBOOK / MANILA BULLETIN FILE PHOTO)

Locsin was reacting to reports that the Philippines is planning to evacuate Filipinos in Myanmar in the wake of the recent coup and the subsequent arrests of leading political figures, most particularly former Nobel peace prize winner and democracy icon Aung San Suu Kyi. 

“I didn’t say that. I said for now no danger; there are only comparatively few Filipinos there and they are safe,” the DFA secretary said in a tweet. 

He, however, clarified that if the situation in that Southeast Asian nation would deteriorate, an evacuation plan is in place to extricate members of the Filipino community and ensure their safety.

“But in case they are no longer so I have evacuation plans but I’m pretty sure they’ll be alright,” he said. 

Throngs of people rallied across Myanmar on Sunday to condemn last week’s military take over and demand the release of Suu Kyi. 

Also last week, Locsin chose a “wait and see” stance in dealing with the events in Myanmar even as he blamed the coup on Western institutions and questioned the competence of Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque to comment on foreign affairs matters, including on Myanmar’s political crisis. 

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["national","news","news"]
[2615332,2879035,2879031,2879021,2879018,2879015,2879028]