Bishop calls on Filipinos in Myanmar to take necessary precautions

Published February 5, 2021, 11:09 AM

by Christina Hermoso

Balanga Bishop Ruperto C. Santos, vice chairman of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines-Episcopal Commission on Migrants and Itinerant People, has called on Filipinos in Myanmar “to take the necessary precautions” following the military take-over in the country.

Bishop Ruperto Santos
(CBCP / FILE PHOTO / MANILA BULLETIN)

“To our overseas Filipino workers in Myanmar, please remain calm and always be careful. Always take into consideration your personal safety. Just focus on your work and avoid places or groups that might endanger your stay and your personal safety,” Santos said over Radio Veritas.

The prelate reminded the Filipinos in Myanmar that in times of violence and tragedy, prayer is the best weapon for the restoration of peace and unity.

  The military take-over in Myanmar against the leaders of the National League for Democracy for supposed election irregularities in November last year began last Feb. 1. Civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi was placed under arrest by the military supported Union Solidarity and Development Party.

 “Let us turn to God that with His guidance and grace, there will be no violence and the common good would always prevail. Let us pray for peace to be restored in Myanmar,” Santos said.

The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said there are about 1,300 OFWs in Myanmar.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["faith","news","news"]
[2613055,2632291,2632289,2632286,2632271,2632275,2632272]