DOTr underscores safety of kids in cars, but won’t catch violators of new law yet — Palace

Published February 2, 2021, 4:16 PM

by Genalyn Kabiling

The government has encouraged motorists to use car seats for children’s safety, but also pointed out that there may be no immediate need to penalize those who fail to comply with the new law, Malacañang said Tuesday.

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque
(OPS / FILE PHOTO / MANILA BULLETIN)

Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque said the Department of Transportation (DOTr) decided to temporarily defer the full implementation of the new law on car safety for kids given the country’s tight economic situation brought by the pandemic.

He said transport authorities understand the struggle of the people amid these challenging times.

“Napakahirap ng buhay kaya naman nangako ang ating DOTr na hindi muna sila manghuhuli pagdating sa mga wala pang mga child car seats (Life is very hard so the DOTr promised it won’t apprehend those who don’t have child car seats),” Roque said during a televised press briefing.

“Bagamat ineengganyo nila gumamit na ng car seats para sa kaligtasan ng kabataan, eh kung hindi naman ma-afford, hindi muna tayo manghuhuli. Ito ang commitment ng DOTr (Although they encourage the use of car seats for the safety of children, we won’t catch violators yet especially if they can’t afford to buy one. This is the commitment of the DOTr),” he said.

Republic Act No. 11229  or the Child Safety in Motor Vehicle Act was signed by the President last year. The law requires the use of mandatory restraints when transportation children and imposes certain penalties for violations. The new measure prohibits children below 12 years old from sitting in the front seat of vehicles.

The implementing rules and regulations of RA 11229, approved on December 2019, took effect on February 2020.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["national","news","news"]
[2610452,2877668,2877671,2877650,2877655,2877664,2877647]