Duterte to keep his vaccination private

Published January 21, 2021, 5:55 PM

by Genalyn Kabiling

President Duterte made “a personal decision” to keep his forthcoming coronavirus vaccination away from public eye, Malacañang said Thursday.

“That’s his personal decision, and I don’t think he has to explain,” Presidential spokesman Harry Roque said during a press conference aired on state television.

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque (JOEY DALUMPINES/PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO / MANILA BULLETIN FILE PHOTO)

Roque made the statement in response to a media query behind the President’s apparent change of mind about receiving the coronavirus vaccine in public.

Duterte previously volunteered to take the fist vaccine developed by Russia to show his trust and gratitude to the country’s ally. He later announced that he is prepared to be inoculated against the virus in public view to boost people’s confidence in the government’s immunization drive.

In a recent public address, Duterte offered to be among the last to get vaccinated and preferred to let the health workers and poor and vulnerable sector receive the shots first.

The Palace however later clarified that the President has agreed to get the first coronavirus shot but will keep his inoculation in private.  

Roque said the President opted to emulate Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip who received the vaccine in private.
The Buckingham Palace only issued a short message about the vaccinations given to the royal couple at early this month.

The country’s first batch of vaccine supply is expected to be delivered next month.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["national","news","news"]
[2600464,2641587,2641555,2641584,2641581,2641578,2641570]