Entry of pork from Eastern Visayas banned in Negros Occidental

Published January 20, 2021, 1:06 PM

by Glazyl Masculino

BACOLOD CITY – The provincial government of Negros Occidental has prohibited the entry of live pigs, boar semen, pork, and other pork-related products and food items from Eastern Visayas, following reports of confirmed case of African swine fever (ASF) in the region.

The ban covers the provinces of Leyte, Southern Leyte, Biliran, Samar, Eastern Samar, and Northern Samar, as stated in the memorandum issued by Governor Eugenio Jose Lacson on Monday.

The ban was declared by the province after the Department of Agriculture (DA)-Eastern Visayas announced on January 15 the first case of ASF in the Visayas in Abuyog, Leyte.

Lacson, who also chairs the Negros Occidental Provincial ASF Task Force, said that such incidence of ASF poses a great threat to the province, being one of the major producers and gateway of live pigs supplied to Luzon, Central and Eastern Visayas. 

Pursuant to Provincial Ordinance 2019-024 or the “ASF Prevention Ordinance of Negros Occidental,” other areas may be covered once affected with ASF, the governor said.

Since 2019, the province, has been prohibiting the entry of pork and pork products coming from areas in Luzon and Mindanao hit by the dreaded disease affecting swine.

With this, Lacson told all local chief executives and members of the Provincial ASF Task Force to ensure the implementation of preventive and safeguard measures as embodied in the ordinance.

Meanwhile, Provincial Veterinarian Renante Decena said they will further intensify its measures to prevent possible entry of ASF-affected products in the province.

The Provincial Veterinary Office (PVO) earlier reported that the task force seized almost P5.6 million worth of incoming pork and pork products from areas hit by ASF last year. 

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["provincial","visayas","news"]
[2599119,2641339,2641189,2641176,2641169,2641154,2641053]