The Internal Affairs Service of the Philippine National Police (PNP-IAS) has recommended the dismissal from the service of Staff Sgt. Jonnel Nuezca, the policeman in a viral video of the cold-blooded killing of a mother and son in Paniqui, Tarlac last month.
IAS Inspector General Alfegar Triambulo said they already submitted the resolution on the administrative cases leveled against Nuezca to the office of the Regional Director of the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO).
Nuezca used to be assigned at the Crime Laboratory based in Paranaque City.
“I submitted to (Brig.) General (Vicente) Danao of NCRPO who has disciplinary authority over the person of Police Staff Sgt. Nuezca for his approval/decision of IAS recommendation,” Triambulo told the Manila Bulletin in an interview.
As the RD NCRPO, Triambulo explained that Danao has the disciplinary power on Nuezca which includes dismissal from the service.
Asked what was the recommendation of IAS, Triabulo said: “It’s dismissal.”
In recommending the dismissal, Triabulo explained that Nuezca himself admitted in his position paper that he indeed shot dead 52-year old Sonya Gregorio and her 25-year old son.
Nuezca was slapped with administrative charges that include grave misconduct when he shot the two Gregorios in a confrontation that led to violence on December 20 in Paniqui town.
How Nuezca shot the two victims at short range was caught in a video from a smartphone which later became viral in social media.
Interestingly, Nuezca pleaded not guilty on the two murder cases filed against him during the arraignment and pre-trial before a Regional Trial Court in Paniqui on Friday. The next hearing will be on February 4.
Following the shooting, national police chief Gen. Debold Sinas vowed to dismiss Nuezca from the service within one month after he shot dead the two Gregorios.