Manila Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso said the city government may conduct a mass swab testing operation concentrated on mass attendees on the Feast Day of the Black Nazarene on Saturday (January 9).
This after they conducted a swab testing operation for residents who celebrated outside the city for the holidays. Data from the city government showed that a 28-year-old Sampaloc resident, who travelled to Pampanga, was the first and only one so far who tested positive for the coronavirus disease-2019 (COVID-19).
Another potential “super spreader” event that the city government is gearing up for is the Feast Day of the Sto. Niño de Tondo on January 17.
As with its previous swabbing operations, the tests will be administered to residents for free.
“Gusto natin matupad ng tao ang kaniyang debosyon, gusto natin patuloy na magdiwanng piyesta, but in the same manner, we can adjust, gusto natin responsable ang mamamayan (We want the people to fulfill their devotions, we want them to continue celebrating feasts, but in the same manner, we can adjust, we want the public to be responsible),” he told reporters on Thursday.