PRO-7 opposing plans to hold Sinulog event

Published January 4, 2021, 1:42 PM

by Calvin Cordova 

CEBU CITY—Local police are opposing the city’s move to hold Sinulog performances even if there will be no audience allowed.

The Police Regional Office-Central Visayas (PRO-7) has recommended to the Regional Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Disease (RIATF) to disallow Sinulog performances as a measure to prevent the spread of coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

Cebu City Vice Mayor Michael Rama had earlier announced that the Sinulog Grand Showdown will be held on January 17 at the South Road Properties (SRP), “but strictly with no audience.”

Police Lt. Col. Glenn Mayam, chief of the Operations Division of PRO 7, revealed that it was after a meeting with City Councilor Joel Garganera, chief of the city’s Emergency Operations Center (EOC), when the PRO-7 decided to come up with the recommendation to cancel Sinulog activities to prevent the possible gathering of people.

Mayam said even the performances of the contingents can already be considered mass gathering.

“We recommended to prohibit the holding of Sinulog Festival this year. Our problem there is how to prevent mass gatherings,” Mayam said.

Mayam said what PRO-7 will allow are the religious activities, such as the novena mass at the Basilica Minore del Santo Niño.

Mayam said the Sinulog Foundation Inc. (SFI) and the Cebu City Government have yet to coordinate with the PRO-7 for the planned holding of Sinulog Festival.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["news","visayas","news"]
[2586325,2879592,2879588,2879584,2879574,2879571,2879568]