For the first time in history, Valenzuela City recorded no case of firecracker injuries in ushering the New Year, Mayor Rex Gatchalian said Friday.
“As of 8am today, for the first time in history, zero cases of firecracker injuries both in our private and public hospitals!,” Gatchalian posted on Twitter on New Year’s day.
Last week, the local government unit passed an ordinance banning the sale, manufacture, distribution, possession, and use of firecrackers and pyrotechnic devices in the city.
The move is part of the city’s bid to avoid firecracker-related injuries during the New Year revelry, as well as to ensure the safety of residents amid the ongoing threat of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.
Because less people used fireworks in welcoming the New Year, Gatchalian said local government personnel did not have a hard time cleaning up streets in the city after the New Year celebration.
“Normally, the day after New Year’s Eve, ubod ng dumi mga kalsada natin dala ng fireworks (our streets are full of garbage from fireworks). This year, hindi sila nahirapan maglinis (street sweepers] did not have a hard time cleaning),” he said in a separate post.
Although there were some “hard headed” residents who still used firecrackers, the mayor said there were also some violators who were apprehended and slapped with a fine.
Despite this, Gatchalian noted that majority of his constituents followed the firecracker ban this New Year, and expressed his gratitude to them.