Barangay Ginebra San Miguel assistant coach Richard del Rosario couldn’t be more happier with the way things have transpired as the PBA bubble enters the last few days with the ongoing Philippine Cup Finals.
Del Rosario, who proposed the concept during the summer, said the league has done a great job in staging the bubble that began in late September and along the way overcame threats of a cancellation with a pair of COVID-19 cases that turned out to be “false positive.”
Coach Tim Cone’s top lieutenant made a two-part video in May with the bubble idea in hopes of salvaging the 45th season that was suspended after one game in mid-March due to the pandemic. The PBA eventually adopted the concept currently held at Smart Clark Giga City.
“I’m so thankful na natuloy to, and we’re almost in the finish line, and so far it’s been successful,” Del Rosario said in Tuesday’s episode of Sports Page on One Sports. “The PBA has done a great job in doing this bubble.”
What also pleases Del Rosario is the way teams have formed camaraderie inside the bubble since they are only limited to being in contact with teammates, and even players from other squads.
That was evident with the vlogs posted by the likes of Ginebra’s Joe Devance, Magnolia’s Paul Lee, San Miguel Beer’s Arwind Santos, and Meralco’s Jammer Jamito.
Del Rosario also noticed that players whose teams were already eliminated seem to miss the bubble life.
“Lahat ng teams naging close,” said Del Rosario. “I see posts from players, yung mga nakauwi na, namimiss nila yung buhay dito.
“Siyempre matutuwa ka pag uwi mo with your families. But after that hahanapin mo yung routine mo dito sa bubble e. So it’s really been an amazing experience for everybody,” he added.
Life has become quieter inside the bubble with Ginebra, TNT, PBA officials staff, five media members, One Sports production crew and talent and hotel employees staying at the Quest Hotel until a champion is crowned.