Filipina worker back from Kuwait after 8-year struggle

Published December 2, 2020, 3:15 PM

by Roy Mabasa

A Filipina domestic worker who had just won a rape and frustrated murder case she filed eight years ago against a Kuwaiti traffic police officer is now back and reunited with her family in the Philippines, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) announced on Wednesday.


“Marissa” (not her real name) joined the 20th repatriation chartered flight from Kuwait to Manila on November 29, 2020, coinciding with the Philippine commemoration of the 18-Day Campaign to End Violence Against Women (VAW).

The Assistance to Nationals (ATN) Fund of the DFA shouldered Marissa’s airfare.

In a conversation with Marissa, Philippine Ambassador-designate to Kuwait Mohd Noordin Pendosina Lomondot conveyed his best wishes to the Filipina domestic worker as she restarts her life in the Philippines.

“The Embassy is glad that Marissa will finally close this difficult and painful chapter of her life, and will embrace her 14-year-old son once again after years of working overseas. I pray that with her second life, Marissa’s story and bravery will continue to serve as an inspiration to others in fighting for what is right and just,” Lomondot said in a statement.

Through the years while pursuing the case, Marissa lived at the Embassy’s ATN Shelter and POLO-OWWA’s Migrant Workers and Overseas Filipinos Resource Center. Utilizing the DFA’s Legal Assistance Fund, the Philippine Embassy secured the services of a competent counsel, Kuwaiti lawyer Sheikha Fauzia Salem.

It was in the early morning of October 1, 2012, when Marissa was raped, stabbed multiple times, and left for dead in South Surra Area by Kuwaiti police officer Lance Corporal Yahiya Mohamad Ahmad Abdullah.

A good Samaritan who saw her crawling on the roadside brought her to the Mubarak Al-Kabeer Hospital.

According to information provided by the DFA, it was in June 2014 when the Kuwaiti Court of First Instance initially found the Kuwaiti traffic officer guilty of rape and frustrated murder charges and sentenced the latter to death by hanging.

However, the court ruling was later commuted to a life sentence. The Kuwaiti Ministry of Interior, the employer of the Kuwaiti traffic officer, later paid the civil compensation for Marissa upon order of the court.