150 families need to be relocated from landslide-prone area in Nueva Vizcaya

Published November 21, 2020, 12:57 PM

by Liezle Basa Iñigo

NUEVA VIZCAYA – After 10 people were killed in a landslide in Sitio Kinalabasa, Sitio Compound, and Sitio Bit-ang, Barangay Runrunu, Quezon, Nueva Vizcaya, the local government here said there was a need to relocate other families to prevent the recurrence of the tragedy.

Landslide area in Quezon, Nueva VIzcaya (PCOL Ranser A Evasco)

“May usapan sa local government na naghahanap sila ng relocation site nila (There’s discussion at the local government, and they’re looking for a relocation site),” said Nueva Vizcaya Provincial Director Col. Ranser A. Evasco.

He said the local government was discussing the immediate evacuation of residents in Barangay Runruno to prevent the same tragedy that killed 10 people recently due to heavy rain of typhoon Ulysses.

There are still 150 families living in the area, and their lives could also be in danger.

It was earlier reported that Provincial Environment and Natural Resources Officer Edgar Martin had already warned that residents of Sitio Bit-ang, Barangay Runruno should immediately leave the geo-hazard area.

He also noted that the landslide could not be attributed to the mining project of the FCF minerals corporation, and said the landslide was a natural occurrence because the mountain soil had already become so soft.

A dialogue is expected in the coming days among the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR), officials of Quezon town, and Nueva Vizcaya to address the alternative means for the evacuation of the affected people in the area.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["luzon","news","provincial","news"]
[2554313,2561014,2561005,2561008,2561000,2560990,2560985]