Give your home a festive makeover with these enchanting star lanterns, inspired by Disney’s Christmas ad
Disney’s Christmas Christmas ad is inspired by the themes of traditions and family togetherness in a year that has upended both. Exploring the relationship between a grandmother and her granddaughter, the animation tugged at heartstrings among Filipinos online.
One memorable moment from the three-minute video is when the lola hangs the finished parol, a star-shaped lantern unique to the Philippines, in the window, which recalls some wonderful memories for many people.
To celebrate the theme of festive family traditions, Disney has posted a short tutorial on how you can make your own parol.
You will need:
—10 Pllieay bamboo sticks
—10 rubber bands
—A pair of scissors
—Cool glue gun
- Tie two sticks together with a rubber band. Repeat this step two more times. Connect the end to create a star shape with a rubber band.
- Weave a stick to create the top of the star, and then connect the ends. Using a cool glue gun, secure where the sticks meet. Repeat for all five five intersections. Create another star.
- Glue dowels onto the intersections of one star. Glue the top of the dowels and attach the remaining star. And then tie all the points.
- Using a glue stick, glue around the middle section. Add your colored paper and trim it with scissors.
- Repeat these steps on the other side, leaving a hole in the middle. Don’t forget the sides!
- Next, scrunch up small squares of colored paper and stick to all points using a cool gun. To finish, add a battery-powered light.