Only information that will lead to the successful prosecution of corruption cases will receive rewards, Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra said on Wednesday.
Guevarra pointed this during Wednesday’s Kapihan sa Manila Bay with Marichu Villanueva concerning President Duterte’s offer of P50,000 to P100,000 rewards to information that will be provided to the Task Force Against Corruption (TFAC) that is led by the Department of Justice (DOJ).
“Itong reward system na ito will apply only to complaints that actually bore fruit (This reward system will apply to complaints that actually bore fruit),” the secretary said.
“So yun talagang nag-develop (These are cases that really developed) and we were already able to verify, we were able to pursue the investigation, and eventually filed the proper complaints in the Ombudsman,” he added.
Guevarra believes the rewards will be drawn from the President’s intelligence funds.
“The President has the proper authority to draw from funds like that because very legitimate yung matter (it is a legitimate matter),” he said.
Guevarra admitted that he was surprised that the President announced “out of the blue” the reward offer on Tuesday night.
He disclosed that the TFAC has also considered offering rewards to the public but had been apprehensive about it.
Guevarra explained the TFAC was “not given special funding for this purpose” and concerns have been raised that there will be a “deluge” of information, including bogus ones, if rewards will be offered.
Now that the President has offered the rewards, Guevarra said the TFAC will have to screen which information will be deserving of the reward.
“I believe eventually this matter of screening and filtering information supplied by informants or tipsters will have to be processed and with all likelihood will be processed by the Task Force Against Corruption led by the DOJ,” he said.