90% of DepEd staff have been paid their salaries

Published October 24, 2020, 11:38 AM

by Merlina Hernando-Malipot

The Department of Education said 90 percent of its personnel have been paid their salaries this month.

DepEd Undersecretary for Finance Annalyn Sevilla, during last week’s virtual press briefing, said that as of Oct. 22, “89.57 percent of the total salaries have already been paid.”  She said the remaining “10.43 percent are still being processed.” 

Aside from expediting the processing of this month’s payroll, Sevilla said that DepEd has released P1.3 billion for the annual medical checkup of public school teachers as well as the incentive for the World Teachers’ Day (WTD) as early as last month.

The DepEd Central Office (CO), Sevilla said, released on Sept. 16 the P400-million fund for the teacher’s annual medical examination amounting to P500 each.

Meanwhile, the P900-million budget for the P1,000 WTD incentive was released on Sept. 18.

Based on the feedback coming from the regions, Sevilla said that most of the teachers have already received the cash allowance while others have not.

“The numbers of those who have yet to receive it, I think, is very minimal. Please wait for it and this will soon be reflected to your accounts,” she said.

Despite the perceived delay, Sevilla assured that those who have yet to receive the cash allowance would have it in their payroll soon. “We have to understand that the process of releasing this will have to go through their respective payroll,” she added.

Sevilla explained that since September, the funds that were released from the DepEd CO have to be forwarded first to the Regional and School Division Offices before these are reflected in the payroll accounts of teachers.