Another 106-yr-old man survives COVID-19

Published October 21, 2020, 11:07 AM

by Philippine News Agency

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY (PNA) — Another centenarian could be vying for the rare distinction of becoming the oldest coronavirus disease (COVID-19) survivor in the country.

This was after another 106-year-old man was reported by the City Health Office (CHO) here on Tuesday to have recovered from the deadly disease.

Cagayan de Oro CHO Resident Epidemiologist Dr. Teodulfo Joselito Retuya noted that the patient managed to defeat the coronavirus despite his age, and despite being transferred from one hospital to another.

Retuya said the patient’s case was “rare” considering that current research showed that elderly people with health comorbidities are likely to die from COVID-19.

But what could make the incident more mind-boggling was that the Cagayan de Oro survivor was actually the second 106-year-old man to have defeated the coronavirus in the country in just a matter of days.

On Tuesday, October 20, Baguio City Health Officer Dr. Rowena Galpo reported that a 106-year-old male patient from Barangay Irisan was discharged after 11 days of confinement at the Baguio General Hospital and Medical Center (BGHMC).

Galpo said the centenarian was released based on the clinical evaluation and risk assessment conducted by his attending physician at the BGHMC.

She explained that, for a patient to be declared cleared of the viral disease, the clinical evaluation should show that the patient no longer had any COVID-19 sign or symptoms, while risk assessment should prove favorable conditions of his home and environment upon release. 

The patient underwent swab test after experiencing mild symptoms. He tested and positive on October 9.

Although having only mild symptoms, he was admitted to the BGHMC because of his age which was under the vulnerable group.

Meanwhile, Retuya credited the teamwork of the government and private health sectors in the recovery of the centenarian from Cagayan de Oro.

“About two days ago, he was finally escorted back to his residence,” he said.