The construction of a new isolation facility for coronavirus disease (COVID-19) patients in Navotas City is nearing completion, according to the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH).
DPWH Secretary Mark Villar on Friday said the ongoing conversion of 53 container vans in Navotas Centennial Park along C4 Road, which will serve as isolation units for patients awaiting COVID-19 test results, is being fast-tracked by the department.
DPWH National Capital Region Director Ador G. Canlas explained that of the 53 container vans, 50 are divided into 200 separate quarters to house patients and will come with their own comfort rooms.
Meanwhile, the remaining three containers will serve as the nurses’ station, triage area, and sanitation room.
“Together with our local government units, DPWH will continue to provide timely and necessary infrastructure in response to the national government’s enactment of the Bayanihan to Heal as One Act,” Villar gave assurance.
The new facility was originally requested by the local government of Navotas to the DPWH in response to no-home-quarantine policy. Mayor Toby Tiangco previously said that once this new isolation facility is done, they will come up with a new protocol that those who are still waiting for their swab test results will no longer be allowed to go home and instead undergo quarantine at the city’s isolation units.
Currently, the city only has two quarantine facilities with 210-bed capacity. They are located in Navotas High School and Navotas Polytechnic College.